The VIX® Index rose from 11.56 at the end of 2006 to a record intraday high of 89.53 on October 24, 2008.
Panel on "Diversification, Portfolio Management and Use of New Volatility-based Index Products" on February 25, 2009, at Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE)Sponsored by Chicago QWAFAFEW and Chicago PRMIA
(L to R) Jamie Tyrrell, Eric Liu, Srikant Dash, Mark Krommenhoek, and Keith Black
The five panelists were:
- Mr. Srikant Dash, Global Head of Research and Design at Standard & Poor's Index Services in New York. S&P recently launched indexes based on VIX futures prices to provide benchmarks for volatility trading strategies.
- Mr. Mark Krommenhoek, Principal at Barclays Global Investors in San Francisco. Barclays recently launched trading in two new iPath Exchange Traded Notes (ETNs) that are designed to provide access to equity market volatility through VIX futures.
- Mr. Keith H. Black, CFA at Ennis Knupp + Associates, a consulting firm based in Chicago. Keith is the primary author of a new paper on "Evaluating the Performance Characteristics of the CBOE S&P 500 PutWrite Index."
- Mr. Jamie Tyrrell of Group One Trading in Chicago, a firm that serves as designated primary marketmaker (DPM) for options on volatility indexes.
- Mr. Eric Liu, a trader at Chicago Trading Company (CTC), a trading firm that serves as the designated primary marketmaker (DPM) for various products, including futures contracts based on variance and volatility indexes.