SPX Weeklys are cash-settled options with Monday, Wednesday, and Friday expirations.
Access SPX Weeklys every trading day of the week with new Tuesday and Thursday expirations.
Benefits of Trading SPX Weeklys
- Targeted Exposure
- Add greater precision to target specific market events like elections and corporate earnings reports.
- Pay Less Time Premium
- The shorter the time to expiration, the smaller the time premium.
- Trade Around-the-Clock
- SPX Weeklys trade during Global Trading Hours, nearly 24 hours a day, five days a week.
- Leading Liquidity
- Tap into one of the most actively traded and liquid markets in the world, S&P 500 (SPX).
Trading SPX Options
Comparison of SPX Option Products
Cboe offers a comprehensive suite of listed options on the S&P 500 Index, including both standard and mini contract size, A.M. and P.M.-settlement, and standard, weekly or month-end expirations. Investors can even customize the key contract specifications with FLEX® options.
|Options Chain||Root Ticker||Settlement||Settlement Date*||Settlement Type||Exercise Style||GTH Available**|
|SPX Options Traditional (AM-Settled on 3rd Friday of Every Month)|
|SPX Options Traditional (PM-Settled on 3rd Friday of Every Month)|
|SPX Options Non-Traditional (PM-Settled on Various Expiration Dates)|
|SPX End-of-Month (EOM)||SPX||SPXW||PM-settled||Last Trading Day of Month||Cash||European||Yes|
|SPX Options - Mini (1/10th the Notional Size)|
|Mini-SPX Index Options (Weeklys Available)||XSP||XSP||PM-settled||Fridays||Cash||European||No|
|SPY Options - SPDR ETF|
|SPDR ETF Options (3rd Fridays, Weeklys, and Quarterlys)||SPY||SPY||PM-settled||Fridays or End of Quarters||Physical ETF||American||No|
* In the case of a holiday on the settlement date, the settlement date is moved back one business day (e.g. from Friday to Thursday), with the exception of Monday Weeklys, where the settlement date will move forward one business day (i.e. Monday to Tuesday). In addition, no SPX EOW, Wednesday Weeklys, or Monday Weeklys will be listed that would have an expiration date that coincides with the expiration date of a traditional SPX option or SPX EOM option.
** Global Trading Hours (GTH) The trading hours for options on the SPX, SPXW (SPX Weeklys and SPX End-of-Month), and SPXPM begin at 8:15 p.m. Eastern time and end at 9:15 a.m Eastern time. Please visit the Global Trading Hours page for more details.